Question of the Day: Is It Possible To Write In Tongues

I have often heard and witnessed people speaking in tongues.  However, as I scour the internet and other blogs I often see where people have written in tongues.  Is this possible?  Where in scripture does it indicate that tongues can be written and read by us?

If you have any thoughts or answers please let me know.  I have never seen where anyone has been able to write and read in tongues.  Was English even a language in Biblical days?  If not then how can we

transcribe this Spiritual gift into everyday letters, sounds and words?  There is scripture in Acts that says that when they spoke in tongues all in each language represented there all understood in their own language.  There is also a passage in Corinthians where Paul speaks of the gifts of the Spirit but each time that I have seen it mentioned in the Bible it has been spoken not written.  thoughts?
Looking forward to getting your responses.
Be Blessed,

RiverAngel42

Acts 2:1-13

1When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. 2And suddenly from heaven there came a sound like the rush of a violent wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability. 5Now there were devout Jews from every nation under heaven living in Jerusalem. 6And at this sound the crowd gathered and was bewildered, because each one heard them speaking in the native language of each. 7Amazed and astonished, they asked, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8And how is it that we hear, each of us, in our own native language? 9Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11Cretans and Arabs–in our own languages we hear them speaking about God’s deeds of power.” 12All were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13But others sneered and said, “They are filled with new wine.”

1 Corinthians 12:6-11

6and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. 7To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8To one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, 9to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the discernment of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11All these are activated by one and the same Spirit, who allots to each one individually just as the Spirit chooses.

1 Corinthians 14:2-5

2For those who speak in a tongue do not speak to other people but to God; for nobody understands them, since they are speaking mysteries in the Spirit. 3On the other hand, those who prophesy speak to other people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. 4Those who speak in a tongue build up themselves, but those who prophesy build up the church. 5Now I would like all of you to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. One who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up.

27 Comments

1. The Gift

God gave me the gift of speaking in tongues and writing in tongues. I have journals filled with it. It is not written in english. I’m not sure of the language. I have yet to get it translated.

• patrick

I also can speak and write in tongues. It is a strange inspiration, message that comes like a wind.

• Anonymous

I have also been given this gift and the knowledge that there are indeed others who are writing in this beautiful language. I have been searching for someone who shares this gift. I can translate if it is similar.

• Kavik

Hello,

I’m a Linguist and would like to see some examples of written ‘tongues’ and, if you have it, supposed accompanying translations/interpretations.

The only glossolaia (‘tongues’) I have ever seen written is the so-called Light Language which is a non-Christian glossolalia .

• V.Lo

I might be willing to talk with you. I’ve been practicing writing in “tongues” for almost three years now. I’ve seen the language grow and advance in structure. It’s unbelievable really. Send me a message if you’re interested and we’ll go from there.

• Deedee

Hi, I can write in tongues and it is not “English” but very strange…

• Deidre

Hi
        Please can you contact me. I can write in different tongues but dont understand it.

2. karen vaughn

In recent days I found myself writing in tongues. It happens when I don’t have words to describe how I feel. I put the pen on the paper and pray and write- then cry. I feel something come out of my gut and a lot of relief. Does anyone else write in tongues? I really never heard of it before it happened to me.

• Seun Adegbohun

I just had the same feeling now which actually made me search the internet if this is possible.

• Richard

I have been writing in tongues for the past 4years I would like to get in touch with someone with the same gift

• V.Lo

I’ve been writing in tongues since early 2015. I’d be more than happy to talk with you if you are still interested. I’m curious to see if it is the same dialect gifted to me 🙂

3. Keith S

The Apostolic Faith newsletter out of Azusa Street was replete with examples of people writing in tongues.

4. Kavik

Can anyone who writes in tongues post an example?? Perhaps attach a PDF of an example??!

• Roko James

I was given a notebook by someone who is extremely spiritual. He can speak and write tongues. The book is filled with writings. It looks similar to the Aramaic language. I’d appreciate if u can translate.

• R James

Can you provide your email address so I can send an attachment? There are no options to upload any documents here.

5. Niya

Wow I’ve been looking for answers to this for over 10 years now. I first experienced this 12 years ago and could not find one single thing online about it. This is blessing me to know that others have experienced the same gift. I can’t translate but I do see symbols that appear to be Arabic/Aramaic as well. I have been hesitant to share these journals though.

6. Kathy M

Yes I also write in tongues not sure what language it is I believe it very old, I gotten the gift about eight years ago! Not sure why God would give it me. It means a lot to me he would choice me for I am sure who to tell.

7. Kavik

I suspect the reason why the manifestation of languages (‘gift of tongues’) was only something spoken was because in Paul’s time, most people could neither read nor write in their own language, let alone a foreign one.

Paul also recognizes translation (‘interpretation’) as being separate because in his day, all readings in the temple as well as any teaching, prophesies, prayers, etc. were required to be rendered in Hebrew, not Aramaic (though Greek was slowly gaining acceptance as an alternative to Hebrew in certain areas).

The way this was typically done was that the ‘teacher’ (usually a rabbi) would speak/read in Hebrew and a person standing near him would translate what was said into Aramaic (or Greek as the case may be). This translator had a specific title, but it escapes me at the moment. This idea of someone speaking and someone else translating is one of the reasons why speaking a language and translating (“interpreting”) a language were considered two separate things in Jewish culture even though they go hand-in-hand.

Thus we see two separate manifestations – languages (“tongues”) and translation (“interpretation”).

8. red ger

I have been writing in tongues too I just started writing early this year. God is amazing!

• LV

I might be willing to talk with you if you’re still interested in seeing samples.

• V.Lo

I can also have this gift. I have been practicing it for a couple of years now. I knew in my spirit that there are others who share this gift, but have had the hardest time finding someone to talk to about it. I’m curious if it’s the same or a different dialect. It’s amazing how God works isn’t it?

9. V.Lo

May I see a sample of your friend’s writing? I’ve been practicing writing in tongues for a few years now and am curious to see if its the same dialect.